Ron has been representing national, regional and local clients in all aspects of real estate transactions, development and financing for nearly 20 years. In his work, Ron approaches his client’s goals and problems as though they were his own. Having managed his own law firm for nearly a decade, he examines everything through an entrepreneurial business lens. He also understands that clients cannot control what happens to them or when; that’s why he makes himself available in the evenings and on weekends to make sure his clients get the help they need when it’s needed.
Entity Selection and Formation. Ron frequently prepares organizational documents including Bylaws, Shareholder Agreements, Buy/Sell Agreements, Operating Agreements, Partnership Agreements and related formation documents. He assists clients with structuring and maintaining complicated organizational structures for various purposes, including protection from liability, isolation from certain risks, and preparation for business combination transactions.
Real Estate Transactions, Development and Financing Experience. Ron maintains an active national real estate and financing practice; he has handled real estate deals in nearly every state with a significant volume in Arizona, California and Texas in particular. In any given transaction, he is especially adept at successfully managing the often large and interrelated groups of people (owners, tenants, leasing agents, consultants, engineers, title professionals, lobbyists, municipal officials, etc.) who all have an important role to play in helping accomplish his client’s goal.
Ron’s experience includes leasing (big box, anchor, ground, build-to-suit, in-line and office leases), purchase and sales (improved and unimproved land), entitlement work, landlord-tenant negotiations, reciprocal easement agreements, joint ventures, development agreements, alternative energy issues, and related matters. Ron also helps clients with real estate financing and has experience with construction and permanent loan transactions, acquisitions loans, refinancings, and loan and lease modifications.
His clients include Fortune 500 companies, individuals, national and regional commercial retail and residential developers, and national lending institutions. He serves as outside general counsel to several local and regional developers and retailers. When necessary, he coordinates with local counsel.
Experience in Redevelopment of 30-Year-Old Shopping Mall. Ron has taken the lead role in effectuating the transformation of an outdated 30-year-old shopping mall into a revitalized shopping destination attracting national retail tenants, growing businesses and local residents.
Ron’s role in this large-scale redevelopment project involved overseeing all real estate and legal matters including:
- Reviewing existing leases and entitlements to determine development restrictions and opportunities;
- Negotiating with in-place tenants and prospective anchor tenants regarding consents and new or revised lease and development terms, as applicable;
- Interacting with consultants, architects, engineers, real estate agents and other professionals in establishing a redevelopment and leasing plan to address the clients’ specific goals;
- Interacting with consultants, architects and contractors in ensuring timely completion of construction milestones as required by governmental agreements and lease covenants;
- Working closely with municipal leaders on development amendments, entitlements and related governmental approvals.
On behalf of his client, Ron also helped secure appropriate construction and permanent financing, including negotiating finance terms and reviewing loan documents. Once the project was complete, Ron coordinated and negotiated selling the shopping complex to a publicly traded REIT for four times the cost of development.
Additional Representative Real Estate Transactions. Some of Ron’s additional representative engagements in real estate include:
- Representing a retail landlord in the lease termination of a restaurant tenant, resulting in a $500,000 lease termination fee paid by the tenant and a new restaurant tenant moving into the vacated space at no cost to the landlord.
- Helping a regional tenant negotiate 10 leases in four states involving multiple lenders as part of a bankruptcy settlement.
- Representing a solar provider in the negotiation of power purchase agreements and lease agreement of solar photovoltaic systems for commercial and residential applications.
- Representing regional and national homebuilders in the negotiation of purchase and sale and joint venture agreements, including mixed-use projects with state universities and national retail developers.
- Representing a developer in the acquisition and subsequent redevelopment of an historical building in San Diego, including coordination and documentation of requisite historical registrations and adherence to rules governing the development and leasing of historic structures.
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- American Bar Association
During law school, Ron was awarded the Ramsey-Burke Memorial Scholarship.